Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Idiots! Gosh!

For some reason, it's not often that I experience anger or frustration over a person's ignorance. It may be because for the last 10 years I have worked with people who are oppressed and frequently have their human rights violated by ignorant people in their lives and communities. I think the main reason is because most of the time I just don't give a shit, and because I don't give a shit, a lot of the time I don't pay close attention to what many people are saying.

Well, last night I had no choice. As most of you know, I am in the midst of my doctoral coursework. I talk about it frequently because I am boring and can't talk about work. I only have so much material people! Last night, I was sitting in The Most Boring Class Ever watching Tracy (from my Doc Posse) file her fingernails, and listening to this chafe, J, prattle. She's one of those. You know, those who love to hear themselves talk? This is the second class I have had with this woman and I can't express how grateful I am that I only have one more year to endure her annoying ass. Between J and this other guy who is a former Merchant Marine, no one else can get a word in. It's actually kind of nice on those nights when you just don't feel like being there and contributing.

The topic of last night's J and Merchant Marine dude's discussion was about Goals 2000. Goals 2000 is a lame document put forth in the 1990s that outlines the federal dept of education's goals for the year 2000. One of these goals is about advancement in Math and Science, and touts that the US will be a world leader in M & S education. We haven't met any of the measurable objectives stated in Goals 2000, and we are definitely not the world leaders in M & S education; thus triggering the following, albeit brief, discussion:

Someone, maybe Tracy, asked "Why aren't we? When do you think that will happen?"

J snarkily replied, "When there's no more Asias!" Um, I thought there was only one Asia?

L, another student says, "China only educates the top 1/4th of their population, which is still more than all of the US. The US tries to educate everyone, and is persecuted because achievement scores aren't internationally competitive/high enough." Okay, I am listening, but not offended because I agree with some of what she's saying. NCLB has forced teachers to teach to the test and stifles creativity and critical thinking. Furthermore, only 1% of the special education population is exempt from achievement testing, which skews achievement test results. I understand where she's coming from.

J then says, "We're not comparing apples and apples here! China's standardized tests are so hard, and when they [students] fail, they [Chinese govt] kick them out! They just send them back to the rice paddy or something!"

Yeah, she really did.

After that statement, and the ensuing stunned silence, the instructor quickly moved on to another topic. I just sat there, aghast that someone with her level of education - she's a freaking microbiologist/geneticist could be that stupid. I couldn't say anything because I am too close to finishing to jeopardize my standing and we don't have bail money - we're saving for an adoption. ARGH!

Later, she started talking about her friend's children who attend a local Chinese school saying, "They speak Chinese and everything. They are entrenched in the Chinese culture!" All I could think was, " I wonder, if the student's fail will the administrators make them work a rice paddy in the playground out back? You stupid bitch."

2 comments:

Shannon said...

The ignorance in that statement is mind blowing. Thank goodness you have more will power than I do. Because the only thing being kicked to a rice paddy that night would have been her butt had I been in that class. Such restraint!

wzgirl said...

Whoa. That is one hellofa doosy.