Sunday, August 27, 2006

Revelations from the Road

I just wanted to let everyone know I have been traveling out and about my great state. I can't really discuss work, but in general I have been forced to enjoy the pleasure of my own company.
During this time I have learned that...
~I have become comfortable eating in restaurants alone. In the past, I have had some anxiety about this because I felt like people are watching me/feeling sorry for me. Now I know bringing a book helps pass the time. Eating alone is no longer a big deal. Besides, these people will never see me again, so who really cares?
~I enjoy going to movies by myself. One evening last week I went to the dollar movies and had a blast! It was a weeknight, so there weren't too many people in the audience. I bought a drink, sat back, and enjoyed absorbing myself in the flick for 2 hours. No worries about bathroom breaks, conversation, or sharing popcorn.
~Chatting on the hotel phone is pretty fun. No one to interrupt your conversation with their commentary. Thanks to Shannon for making the evenings go by a little more quickly and a lot more fun.
~The Hampton Inn is a sure thing. They are always clean, have 24 hour fresh coffee in the lobby, and they have new beds; you get to sleep in a mound of comfort.
~I can go hours without making a sound. When I have to answer the phone or say something after this respite, my voice sounds like I have been napping. It's kind of breathy and scratchy. Weird.
~Wireless connection keeps you sane.
~I miss B terribly. We would have loads of fun if we were traveling together, but he's at home and I am out. After a day, I am ready to be back home with him. Being away has brought appreciation for my marriage and our relationship to the forefront of my attention. My love for him gets stronger every day I am away.

3 comments:

wzgirl said...

When do you get home, DSue? I was away from home last year volunteering for the Red Cross/Katrina Relief - 11 days away from my hubby. We'd never done that before. Distance certainly makes the heart stronger. But, it was a little odd seeing after that long...in a good way.

Hope you see B very, very soon!! XOXO

Susan said...

you can call me, too - if you want. Otherwise I'll have 3 months of stuff to tell you when I see you next month.

I'm glad you are enjoying your company.

xoxo

Susan

Kelli said...

Ha ha! Eating on your own is OKAY! I have learned that from enough time traveling for business myself...otherwise what do you have? room service? ugh! It's much more fun to take a great book, find a nice restaurant, and read or people watch! Once you get over the "oh I'm eating alone" & onto "I'm traveling by myself! Who else would I eat with?!"- it's okay! This only backfired once, in a resautrant in San Francisco that had just opened & tried to discourage me the single person from eating there alone. My hotel told me they probably thought it was bad for their image!!
Happy Travels!!!