Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I am so Hot the Back of My Head is Throbbing

So today I walked into the house after dropping C off at cheerleading practice and almost had a heart attack when I felt the heat slap me in the face. Panic set in as I waded through the heat and humidity to look at my thermometer. 80 degrees - in the house. I immediately thought, "Oh shit, the air is out." I decided to try to push the button down to see if it would kick on. As I did, the set temperature flashed 86. What the hell? We never, ever, ever adjust the thermometer in the house. It stays on 72 all summer and 70 in the winter. I learned this from my best friend's mom when we were kids. Connie instilled the fear of her wrath if Kathy or I were to ever touch the gauge. Connie could sense it from 15 miles away if that needle moved even 1/16th of an inch.
As I am resetting the thermometer and the air kicks on at warp speed, both cats run to a respective vent and crash, dizzy from the heat. I call B at work who proceeds to tell me that C said she was cold this morning so she reset the temperature "a little bit." Yeah right. Now I am sitting here in a t-shirt and panties in my living room because it's so hot upstairs it's hard to breathe. She'd better be thankful I have BB7 on Ti-vo and she's spending the night with her mom (in the air-conditioned comfort of her bedroom, of course). Punk ass kid. A little bit, my sweaty ass.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

OMG I'd have to seriously consider ripping the bones right out of that girl's body.

Special K said...

I can't go above 72 or I melt.

Hey thanks for the comments on my blog.

Curous now about your medical issues. If you'd like to share, shoot me off an e-mail. There's a link on my blog.

Krista

wzgirl said...

Lucky for you that you have an air conditioner - a couple weeks ago when we were having our heat wave, it was 95 in my house! We don't have a/c - most people don't in the Bay Area. And, every year we think about it during the one heatwave a year. Enjoy catching up with BB - it is eviction night!!

Karen and Jon said...

There is no punishment severe enough for that. A couple of weeks ago, we thought ours went out. Jon was outside taking a look, I was packing and calling friends inviting myself over. Can not live without the A/C.

Janet said...

"When it gets hot like this, you know what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!"

--Marilyn Monroe, From the Seven Year Itch

I think you need some undies in the icebox!