Thursday, January 26, 2006

Not Again!

Having my usual luck, the small burning ember of the homestudy torch that was passed has been returned. Reason being, I need another letter from my doctor regarding my hypertension. Great. As you can recall, back in September, I asked for, received, and promptly thereafter fired my doctor. I have since moved to a new doctor. This guy is nice, but his office staff leave much to be desired.
I make the call, give my info and make my request. The person with whom I am speaking (I have no idea if she's a nurse, assistant, LPN, or receptionist), says, "It's really sad that you have to go through so many hoops to adopt." I let this one slide, because in many ways I agree with her. I respond with, "Yes it is, and this is a last minute hoop, so I would appreciate the letter as quickly as possible." I was hoping this redirection would help expedite the call. Personal phone calls at work are frowned upon, and since I share an office, I try to follow the rules. The rest of the phone call goes like this:
She says, "If you don't mind me asking, where are you adopting from?"
I answer,with a little sense of giddy pride, "We are adopting from China."
Her response, "That's really sad too, when there are so many kids here that need adopted."
My deflated, curt response, "I respect your opinion; this was a very personal decision for my husband and me, and I really don't think this is the point of this phone call. When can I come in to pick up my letter?"
I was so pissed. I know I opened the door, but I viewed it as a) a friendly inquiry, and b) a need to be polite because I was asking for something from these people. But you know what, I don't have to be polite, and unfortunately, I can think of so many meaner, caustic things to say now that I have had time to think. How nice do I have to be? We pay monthly for health insurance, I pay a co-pay every time I walk into the office; I am a customer. The staff at this office are rude, stand-offish, obviously opinionated, and really are all around assholes. I don't think this doctor is worth it. Perhaps I am expecting too much but, I am one of these people who refuses to put my doctor on a pedestal and take his/her word as gospel. I have a decent amount of education, and although I didn't go to medical school (back off), I tend to view my doctor as a peer rather than an authority figure. I know my body better than anyone else and even though I respect and admire the medical profession, I don't have to be treated like shit by my doctor or by his/her staff. I am at an impasse - I didn't like my first doctor, but she had really great staff; I like my new doctor, but I hate his staff. I am giving it a year, which will be September, and I will search again for the perfect blend of doctor and office staff. If I am lucky, I'll find one who gives out lollipops too.

No comments: