Friday, January 27, 2006

It's a Small, Small World


Ever since B & I decided to adopt from China I have been lurking all over the internet joining forums, reading blogs, researching China, and started blogging myself. I have read about so many interesting people and shared their journeys via the World Wide Web. A year later, Karen and D are anxiously awaiting Maya Papaya, Susan and Will are packing and preparing for their trip to meet Olivia, Lissa and Russell are loving Lydia and Amy and Ruby are having the times of their lives. I think about these families I haven't met. I am surprised by the commonalities we have, and I look forward to sharing their happiness, albeit vicariously.
The one journey I have followed from the beginning has been Karen and Scott's (I can't link to their blog because it's private). I don't know these people, but if I saw them on the street I would stop and ask about their lives. I know about their marriage, their struggles and successes, and their adoption of Gwen from the first stages of the process, through the scary, harrowing first three weeks of being with her and wondering if she would make it through the night, and through the celebrations of her first birthday a few days ago. I also know other personal things that, even though they are strangers, makes me sad and angry and worried. It's hard to believe, but it's true. My thoughts are with these people I really don't know, and I am humbled and amazed by the power of the internet and the power of people.

1 comment:

Amy said...

awwwwwwww HOW SWEET ARE YOU?!@ *BIG HUGS* from both Ruby and Myself! =) We read your blog daily as well and and honored that you peek into our little corner of the world from time to time... it really is, a fun place to be. =)

xoxoxo