Monday, December 11, 2006

Slacker

I've been around, just not blogging. Not because I haven't thought of things to talk about and not because I am sick, or tired, or worried about various sundry. Which, truthfully, I am. Regardless, I haven't been blogging because I am lazy. Something you should know about me by now.

Things here are fine. I have healed from the surgery, and have a little lip on the bottom part of my belly button. It's weird and I am hoping the scar will relax.

About a week after the surgery, I ended up with some funky low-grade fever thing that was just hanging around like an unwanted houseguest. In fear that I had some crazy infection from the surgery, I called and received a Rx for Cipro. I took my meds like a good patient. 3 days after finishing my meds I woke up to this really swollen place behind my ear that was sore, painful, and hot to the touch. It also felt like I had an ice pick in my ear. I went to my new doctor and she said I had Mastioditis - a bacterial infection in my Mastoid bone. As you know, this shit only happens to me. Very weird, but treatable. Mastoiditis used to be the leading killer of children, but with the advent of antibiotics, it's no longer a threat or even very common. It's also common in children, not adults. Oh well, it's weird and I have it.

A positive? The Cipro probably kept it from being as bad as it could have been, which would have entailed IV or a needle aspiration of the pus. GAG.

So I am on more antibiotics and I am fine. Home today, traveling for work for the next two weeks.

In other news -
  1. We are going to Texas! My group's proposal for a symposium for a conference was accepted. That's really good news, BTW. To make it better, B is going with me. His work thought that the conference would be a good way for him to get more information about online learning, so no hotel fees for me! Being a hick, I have only flown once. I am a little freaked out, but I'll fake it and pretend I am worldly. I am a good faker.
  2. I am slowly building my committee and program of study for my doc program. So far, my first choices are on board. One more to go before the holiday, so keep your fingers crossed he'll say yes!
  3. C will be in Florida for the entire Christmas holiday. I cried for 3 days. She's really excited, but this will be our first Christmas without her. On a good note, this will be our first (and probably only) Christmas as a couple. B is planning something romantic to try to make me feel better about C being gone.
  4. I am almost finished Christmas shopping. I have a few more items for my Secret Pal and stocking stuffers. That's it. I received $100.00 in retail gift cards from AmEx Membership Rewards, so spending those will be gravy.

2 comments:

C's Mom said...

Nice to know you're alive out there!

Shop on sista. Also, enjoy the couple Christmas!

Special K said...

Glad to hear you're doing better...

I'm with Connie... enjoy the couple Xmas. Hopefully it's your last one. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the next one will include cute little Chinese babes!