Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas Ramble

So we finally got Christmas under our belts and out of the way. Another year over, and boy howdy am I glad. After a long flight home and all day waiting, C ripped into the gift extravaganza last night like Reuben Studdard at a Golden Corral. She was quite thrilled with her loot. I have a tendency to get a little carried away on the giving, but this year I remained reasonable. Her mom buys the bulk of the toys and we get to do clothing and more sedate items like this and this. I like to do the clothing part, because it takes lots of effort to undo the Stevie Nicks/Bon Jovi look she gets from her other maternal influence. Because of C's genetic lack-o-fashion sense, I put the entire outfit together in a gift box and triple dog dare her to mix and (not) match. Under the tree this year were skinny jeans, babydoll tunics and jailhouse stripes. She was in love.

One thing B knows about me (Kathy if you're reading you'll remember this) is that dolls totally freak me out. C never brings dolls to the house because even she knows how I feel about them. One Christmas she got one of these, and regardless of the price, I let it leave the house and never return. It's probably at the bottom of some yogurt soaked, unopened marker laden toybox with green play-doh matted in it's hair. I don't care. I hate them that much. Even though he loves me and usually respects my quirks and weirdness, B bought Ruby her first doll and put it under the tree. He warned me about it and told me to just suck it up. I was hesitant to open it because I knew I would see the dead eyes staring back at me and I would be sucked into a vortex of fear. I finally conceded after opening everything else. I was so, so happy to see this, my eyes got a little leaky. My man - he knows me well.

7 comments:

C's Mom said...

Hmmm...sounds like you're as wigged about dolls as I am of clowns. Those are freakish.scary.things! Well, now one certainly knows what NOT to send you as a gift of luvs ;0)

Special K said...

Ok.. I give up. What is it? A rabbit on crack? I'm sure it's probably something super cool that I'm just not hip enough to have a clue about....

Debra Sue said...

Meet Moxy my Ugly Doll. You can check them out here
http://www.uglydolls.com/

**edited post to include this web address instead of just a pic.

Shannon said...

LOVE the ugly dolls! And I'm so with you on those dead eye dolls. I'm totally ok with plush dolls but the porcelain ones with those rolling eyes? Shudder.

wzgirl said...

That wee scruffy doll is so cool. I loathe those A.G. dolls & I am a big dolly fan - how can they charge so damn much for them when they are the stuff of nightmares??? We've got a collection of a couple Groovy Girls and a few other dolls of various shapes & colors. I'm also making some that slightly resemble your new fave.

aimeeg said...

OMG, I absolutely HATE dolls, too! I didn't even look at the picture you linked because they freak me out too much. I once had to stay at a bed and breakfast that put us in "The DOLL Room"! I didn't sleep all night--I just kept waiting for them to come and get me!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I guess I cannot send you that cute doll I had my eye on???
I know what you mean. I am totally freaked out by clowns. I mean I go out of my way in a store to not look at them or be by them. ICK..Gives me the heebejeebeees..
The ugly doll was cute. Nice hubby!
Lisa