Saturday, August 06, 2005

Please Excuse Debra From....

One week into blogging and I am already lagging behind on my posts!
My excuses (in no particular order of lameness) are:
  1. This past week I started my Brand New Job. I can't really discuss it, but I will tell that it is corporate, different, and I have two great friends who are with me to ease the transition. One of my best friends, Caroline, and my new friend, Lori. I met both of these women through work. Caroline and I have known each other almost 10 years - yikes! We endured graduate school together, which is a bond that will never be broken. Lori and I met about 2 1/2 years ago through a mutual client. I also provided her with many, many continuing education credits; therefore, I take undue amounts of credit for her obtaining her license. I am really liking my new position and I am looking forward to learning more about the job. My only two complaints are that I have to get up an hour earlier, and I have to dress up every day, which includes big shoes and make-up. Dammit!
  2. I had my 34th birthday on Wednesday. This was the first time in over 10 years I worked on my birthday, which was sucky. My Honey B made it much better by hand-delivering 2 dozen yellow sweetheart roses to me at work. He says he was being romantic, but I know he was trying to impress my new co-workers. It was an attempt to rally new troops on the "B is a great husband-he's soooo romantic-how can you ever be angry at him" front for when we have divorce days. He totally schmoozed all of the women at my previous job, so now he has to start from scratch. Imagine his disappointment that only two people witnessed his romanticism because everyone else was in meetings. It was also exacerbated by the fact that my new AA thought he was the flower delivery guy. I have to give him credit though, he is a great guy who is v.v. romantic (much more than I will ever be) and his schmoozing works on me about 90% of the time. So even though I think romanticism is overrated and I am a withered heart cynical crone, B makes up for us both. It's actually kind of a relief.
  3. On my birthday, we also went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which confirms Johnny Depp's position at the top of my Top Five list joining Julian McMahon, Russell Crowe (as Gladiator only), Dave Matthews, and Rodrigo Santoro. Yum-Yum. I loved, loved, loved this movie. Johnny Depp is the best actor of my generation even though he hangs out with a skinny supermodel who is a rock star wannabe. Her song Commando is so bad I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it.
  4. We also celebrated my birthday at my parents house. My mom is the greatest cook ever! Mom always makes the birthday dinner and birthday cake of our choice. The menu was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn on the cob, and macaroni salad. Total carb and fat fest! She also made Sunshine Cake, which is yellow cake with mandarin oranges, pineapple, cool whip and lots and lots of love. Along with my parents, my Honey B and C, my brother and sister-in-law with the crazy/beautiful kids were there, my cousin Stef and her new boyfriend, my Poppaw Kitty-Kat and my stepgrandma Helen, and my great- aunt Mommy Gay. I got a Target Card (yay), a lovely perpetual desk calendar, and a picnic kit. I am still figuring out what I want from B and he's getting frustrated. Good food, good presents, good birthday.
  5. We finally decided on an agency, and are currently filling out the paperwork for application. Also, I spoke with our homestudy agency and received the packet for application as well. My friend Ashley is a social worker there, and even though she can't do our homestudy, she is able to answer all of my neurotic questions. I love it that she's there because she knows my personality and can handle it when I get demanding, snippy, and crazy. We both have to write huge autobiographies - great more paperwork. Guess what we'll be doing tomorrow.
  6. I finished my summer class. I had to take a multiculturalism class (my 3rd!) this summer and we had a final paper. Me being me, I waited until the last minute and cranked out 20 pages in APA format with reference on the last day. I received a 299 out of 300 because I couldn't get my table of contents to hyperlink which gives me a 98% in the class. Nevertheless, I am not encouraging anyone out there to wait until the last minute to write a paper. I swear I developed chronic Carpal Tunnel in the span of 8 hours.

So those are my excuses, and if I sit here any longer I could probably think of many more. I will try to post as often as I can. But you see, I have to.....

No comments: