Monday, January 29, 2007

Consuming My Life, For Christie

I haven't been too busy to blog, I am just a little blue about this whole wait. Dang, it's discouraging. Our 7 month LID anniversary was this weekend, and we celebrated in the same fashion as the other months - not doing a damned thing. Matter of fact, I worked for about 4 hours.

Lately, about the only thing I am interested in is Reality TV. Not the State of the Union, not cool shows like Lost and Heroes (I watch them, but I am not on them like a starving dog on a Milk Bone). Oh, I have a lot going on with school, but as far as being interested in it? Meh. Since Christie demanded another post and I must cater to my fans, I am going to talk about the two things that are consuming my life right now...

Lets get the boring out of the way:

School
1. I have been really active in getting my committee solidified. One person did not work out, and it's for the best. In this situation, I'll believe in fate. My university has recently hired an adjunct I had for a couple of classes. Not only is this person fresh, she's really awesome. Plus she's totally quantitative, so if I have to do a mixed methods study for my dissertation, she's my man. She also bought a dozen boxes of Grrl Scout cookies from my niece. See, I told you she's awesome.

2. I have developed a very strong mentoring relationship with my chair. From the beginning I have really been into working with her, but she's an ace in the poker face. I wouldn't say she has a flat affect, but she's very, very guarded. A few weeks ago, the Dean (who is also on my committee) told me that she deliberates long and hard before agreeing to chair a committee and that she is very selective. What this means is, she likes me! She really likes me! I know that sounds a little weird, but this whole chair/committee building thing has been the bane of my existence for a while now. My confidence, when it comes to this issue, is pretty nonexistent.

3. The trip to Texas is on! I won't be telling when I am leaving, but I will post pictures when we are back. That is if I can find my cord to my camera. I had a slight panic attack over the reservation costs - B's registration was $350 alone! Yikes! My AmEx felt a serious dent to the tune of over $3000. I am so glad B is going with me. We will be reimbursed for everything but my meals. Well, I am glad he's going with me because he's supportive and a whole lotta fun, but still.

Television
1. I cannot wait for the Top Chef showdown on Wednesday. Oh yeah, Marcel is going to kick Ilan's ass! It's really a lesser of two evils situation, but I feel a little sympathy for Marcel. Yeah he's an asshole, but getting assaulted by Cliff and emotionally tortured by everyone else created a little warm spot in my heart for Marcel. I am also digging on his crazy hair. I am really digging on Tom Colicchio. He's a total Alpha Male. Has anyone noticed that Gail eats like she has peanut butter stuck to the roof of her mouth? I had to 8 second rewind the ghetto DVR twice to take a look at that action. Not so pretty. Also, the finale gets me a little closer to Project Runway 4. Come on Heidi and Tim! I'm getting antsy.

2. American Idol is killing me. Just get to the second phase already. It's so not cool to allow people with disabilities to stand there and make asses of themselves while the judges make fun of them. Granted, many of the contestants need a wake up call, and this is the place to get it. Right now I am not feeling anybody. Sundance is a good singer, but he needs to shave the pubes hanging from his chin. Gross. Oh yeah, Randy. I saw you when you toured with Journey's Raised on Radio tour. Can we say asymmetrical fade and red spandex? I remember. My eyes burned for weeks. Do. Not. Make. Fun. Big. Man. Because honestly? Red Spandex. Seriously.

3. The Apprentice: Ah, the Donald. How I love thee in a nonsexual way. Even though Ivanka is swanky and cool, I miss Caroline and her rabid dog smile. I was so sucked into the whole "An Apprentice First: Romance!" shtick. Well, basically it's Nicole thinking Tim is vibing on her. Sister, he might hit it while you're there, but outside of Apprentice La-La Land, you guys are no Rob and Amber.

4. Grease! You're the One That I Want: This show is beyond bad. Almost as bad a Celebrity Duets - I'll never forget the Hal Sparks/Wynona duet. I digress. The only reason I am watching is because my SIL K went all through school with Derek, I think he's the "Wholesome Danny." So all for keeping it real on the hometown success stories, I watched and voted. Once. Only once. Besides, his biggest competition is this freaky guy named Austin who looks like Harry Connick, Jr., has moves like David Copperfield, and is a huge narcissistic dork. I know, those two words are an oxymoron, but he really is a narcissistic dork. Another hometown success is Jen Garner. I think mom and I are going to support her massive career by seeing Catch and Release tomorrow evening at the 4 dollar flicks. I really don't give a rat's ass about Jen Garner, but I love me some Kevin Smith and Timothy Olyphant.

6 comments:

dreamer said...

So I"m reading the post and for some reason I scan down to the phrase "2. I'm developing a very strong mentoring relationship with my chair".

WTF?

Then I back the truck up, read "1." and the rest of "2.", then the light dawns on me. Until that I thought you had lost your mind.

Lost yes, The Donald a true ass this season but still watching...

wzgirl said...

I LOVE Marcel. Love the guy. He reminds me of Puck from A Midsummer Nights Dream. The hair. The drama. Lovetheguy. I vote4him. He's got heart.

aimeeg said...

This is the first Apprentice I haven't watched, and I'm wishing I had just for my reality TV fix. When is the next Bachelor???!!!

Mamacita said...

Sheesh! Finally! I love the way you write. Hsve fun in Texas and honestly, the Donald? You love the Donald? I'm more of a Rosie fan myself. I would never watch Idol if it weren't for Tivo. Some of those people make me want to pull out my own hair. Didja gettaloada that blond wierdo (Seattle, I think) with the bright red lipstick and boobies that would do National Geographic proud? The one with the matching Mama? Who sang "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" Absolutely horrifying! Thanks for bellying up to the bar.

Karen and Jon said...

Thanks for the update - I have been in a blogging funk lately too. I hear ya on the LID anniversary. I realized the other day that ours goes by without a notice much less a celebration. Hell at this point, we would go broke celebrating every one of them.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you write about all that is close to my heart.
I cannot believe Marcel did not win. It killed me.
I cannot stand the Grease show and yet I watch every episode. I know that this show did well in England when they cast "Sound of Music" but it is missing something. I think I like the bible thumper girl for Sandy.