Friday, May 12, 2006

What is in a Name?

I am really struggling with the whole name thing, and not for the reason most soon-to-be-parents have. From the beginning I have been stuck on the name Ruby. B acquiesced after much browbeating from me. I just love the name, and always have. Even during the dark days of infertility I would think to myself if we have a girl, Ruby; if we have a boy, Oliver. When we discovered we couldn't get pregnant, I chose not to retire the name. Regardless, our daughter would be Ruby. Now I am not so sure.
Lately, everywhere I turn there's a Ruby. It's like that episode of Scrubs where Turk and Carla want to keep their chosen names for their baby a secret.
I totally get it.
I realize that other people like Amy, of Amy and Ruby Cate fame, and this blog are going to name their daughters Ruby if they want. Besides, they are in Massachusetts and Florida respectively, and not in my daughter's class at school. Yet, I just discovered this book and this book which both feature protagonists who are Chinese girls named Ruby. Another blog recently talked about visiting a friend and her daughter, (surprise, surprise) Ruby. It's starting to get to me.
I am torn. I really want our daughter to have a name that is unique, yet not so weird or juvenile that when she has grandchildren, they won't be calling her "Grandma Brittany" or "Grandma Kylie" (sorry to those out there who chose those names, they're just not for us). I need to either get over it or think of something new, which won't be shared outside of B and me. Suggestions? Opinions?

3 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

I think Ruby is a beautiful name. If Ruby is what you've always felt in your heart would be your daughter's name, then no matter how popular, I would go for it.

FYI, According to the Social Security Admin., in 2005 Ruby was the 132 most popular name and over the years has been gaining in popularity.

Alli and Frankie said...

I think Ruby is very pretty - it reminds me of the Max and Ruby books my son loved so much when he was smaller. And, I don't know anyone with that name at all!!

SunSticker said...

I love Ruby. I struggle with the popularity factor, myself. I still kinda wish I hadn't named Noah - Noah. Number 7 on the popularity list for the year he was born. I had no CLUE at the time, I thought we were being original. Ruby is a beautiful name, but just troll around and see if you can find something that grabs your heart and won't let go. Oh, but not Cameron/Camryn, because that means crooked nose. ;) P.S. Did you know that Evelyn means Hazlenut and it was originally a male name?
Of course I will be dedicated to help find the perfect name for my perfect niece. I already suggested Evangeline - is this definitely a no? How about Nora Elise?