Tuesday, November 22, 2005

All Talked Out

Well, we had our first home visit for our home study today. I took a personal holiday to finish cleaning the house and discovered the magic wonder of these. My mom always hangs with the bald dude, but I can't cheat on my regular guy. Who the hell has an all white kitchen anyways? Me, the woman who doesn't have full-time kids. Who will be painting said kitchen in the near future to avoid going through a 4 pack of magic erasers, one industrial size Clorox disinfectant wipes and an entire bottle of Spic & Span? Ooh, Ooh, Ooh, Pick me Mr. Kotter! I digress...
Our cute as a bug in a rug SW, J, came breezing in at 2 o'clock with a sunny smile and soft spoken ways. B was convinced she was coming to throw down the gauntlet, take one look at us and laugh her ass off. I was stressed because we create more dust than Kansas. Regardless, I kept reminding myself that she's a nature loving, no make-up, but still beautiful, trying to hide it hippie and attempted to relaxed. She's one laid-back chick. I talked even more than last time and realized I am a huge, pretentious nerd. C talked very little, which was surprising, but after J left she went on and on how nice and pretty she is - weird. B made jokes and somehow got her to disclose more information than she probably should. Before we knew it 3 hours were killed and we kicked her out of the house. The tension and stress of the day deflated like a leaky balloon and we all sat down to a silent dinner. There we were, halos of kitchen lighting around the blonde heads of our family trying not to acknowledge the silent, empty space at our table that's waiting to be filled with the noisy chatter of a baby girl with black hair that will reflect the light like rippling city lights on a deep moving river. Quietly eating BBQ, We shoveled it in like farm hands after a day of barn raising. What a day.

1 comment:

Elle said...

Yea! How exciting! My C (13) didn't talk much to our SW during the visit either. Maybe it was because I threatened him with cruel and unusual punishment if he portrayed us as being less than perfect. Hee!!