Saturday, October 07, 2006

Lonely Reader

Need a little help over here. Being active in the role of A-parent of a Chinese daughter, I have agreed to participate in several Secret Pal exchanges. Actually only 2, but anyway, this month's theme for one exchange is children's books. Not Chinese Adoption children's books, but all-over-the-charts children's books. You would think this would be easy, being as I have a 10 year old who was 2 when I became her stepmom. No, sorry. Being just like her father, C hates to read. I know, I know. I punctures my soul like a bullet, because I read every single day and feel like my arm's been cut off if I don't have a stack of to-be-read books sitting on my table. When C was small we didn't have story time, we had singing time. I would sing to her every night before she would go to bed. Songs that eventually became part of a lullaby CD that still works, 8 years later. I am hopeful and a little determined that Ruby will be a reader. If she's not, I don't know what will happen to the lonely reader in my house.

I have several books in my collection that I love, but aren't age appropriate for the exchange. They are books I remember loving when I was a child - Eloise, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (all of them), The Little House on the Prairie collection, the Ramona Qumiby chronicles, all Judy Blumes, and several in the Anne of Green Gables series.

As you can see I am in a quandary. These won't work, not for the little ones. So tell me, what works for you? What have you purchased to get ready and make your little one love the written word?

4 comments:

Susan said...

We have Olivia the Pig, the Little Golden Books story collection (one big book with oodles of stories), anything with animals, Mother Goose collection among a few. O doesn't like to sit still long enough to read a story so we have LOTS of board books showing words, animals, etc. we practice. I think Amazon.com has an option when you're shopping for books to put in an age range. Maybe that will help. Also, the ladies at our local Barnes and Noble were great at telling me what popular kids books were.

Michelle said...

I have worked with children ages 3 months to twelve years for a long twenty years, so here are some books that I own and read frequently. You will for sure want to start with board books, since toddlers can be pretty hard on books.
1."Good night Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown is a must have.
2. "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See?" is also a favorite. They also have a "Panda Bear What do you see" version of this.
3."Where is baby's belly button" by Karen Katz is cute.
4."Ten Little Fingers" by annie Kubler.
5. "Sheep in a Jeep" by Nancy E. Shaw is hilarious.,
6. I LOVE the book "Moo, Baa, La La La!" by Sandra Boynton. Also, "Barnyard Dance" by the same author.
7."Jamberry" by Bruce Degen is also one of my favorites.
8. "Night in the Country" by Cynthia Rylant is wonderful too.
9."The Wheels on the Bus" by Paul O. Zelinsky.
9."My Many Colored" Days by Dr. Seuss.
10."Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" by Annie Kubler
11."More, More, More Said the Baby" by Vera B. Williams
I could go on and on! I simply LOVE children's books and own quite a large library of them. I hope this helps!

Shannon said...

My niece and I love Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea! Have fun! There are lots of great books out there.

Drea said...

Hey there! We love all the Sandra Boynton books! And Dr. Seuss is great too, more for maybe age three or so. And, there are some cute ones like the very hungry caterpillar! Hope this helps!