Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Bling! Bling! Christmas is Shiny!

Well, a month's gone by and I haven't blogged since the last holiday, but honestly, I have been so wrapped up in work, finishing school, and Christmas shopping I haven't had time to do much of anything else. Well, except get the worst haircut EVER. I swear my hair looks like this, but truthfully, the wig looks better. I find it disconcerting that my hairdresser, whom I have trusted implicitly for the last 3 years decided to make me look like I need to be in a retirement home. Regardless, Christmas at my house was full of family, love, and bling.
I won't lie and say that I regret not having a big wedding. Eloping with B was the best decision I have made in my life; however, at the time of our surprise nuptials, we rushed to get rings at a local shop that rhymes with "lawn." Don't get me wrong, I am not a jewelry snob or even a girly girl who likes to wear different pieces, but for a while (several years) I have had a serious case of diamond envy. I'm not choosy, I just wanted a carat. My small, shiny, beautiful diamond has great sentimental value, but I still coveted the rings of my friends. If that makes me shallow, so what! At the time of our marriage B and I made less money combined than I make now. We were poor and in love and made do, and for these years of diamond envy B refused to even discuss a bigger ring. He just couldn't see how a piece of jewelry could make me happy. Nevermind the fact that he pays monthly rent on a studio for his drums that he visits at least once a week, but hasn't had a consistent paying gig in over 2 years. I digress...
Imagine my surprise this Christmas Eve when I got my carat. Finally after years of envy I got what I wanted. A carat solitaire that shines lovely on my fat little finger. Upon giving it to me, in front of both our families who were in on it, he stated, he realized that this time next year we would be getting ready for our trip to China; and after that we would not only have Cadance, but Ruby, and eventually grandbabies. This would be the last time we could really focus on each other. With flourish and grandeur he presented me with the ring. I couldn't be happier, but much to the disappointment of B and the fam, I didn't cry.
Next up, a new band for Valentine's Day...

No comments: