Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Being a Mom

There are many reasons for a lag in my blogging lately. There's a new season of TV to watch, it's conference proposal semester and I am diligently working for a trip to Vegas in the spring, I am depressed about the wait for Ruby... you get the point. Regardless of my regularly scheduled life, the main reason I have not been blogging is because I have been too busy being a mom.

Yeah, you read that correctly.

I am not C's mom, and have never had the delusion that I could ever take the place of her mother. My relationship with C has been one of stepmother - close, but not a decision maker. Nevertheless, I have been playing the role of mom due to the Summer of Hell she has had with her biological mother. Since May, C has been an absolute tyrant with her mother, and truthfully, it's a little embarrassing to talk about.

C has become an asshole. There I said it out loud.

My stepdaughter has become that image of the terrible teenager that all parents dread to think about - moody, tearful, raging, violent, hurtful, deceitful, lying and mean. The weird thing about it is that even though this mood swing has hit across environments (school, home, life), the really violent stuff only happens with her mother. Don't get me wrong, we have our moments where I get the "Stare of Death," but never to the level of destruction that happens at her mother's home. C has hit, kicked, punched, and thrown things at her mother. She has broken the woman's leg, torn ligaments in her thumb, and punched her repeatedly. We are seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, and have consulted with her pediatrician, and have met with both school personnel and the police. And finally, we have done the one thing we said we wouldn't do - medicated our child.

I am not writing these things to elicit sympathy or advice, I am just passing along the facts of my life as it has unfolded over the past few months. Also, keep in mind, C is compassionate toward most, fun, silly, loving, and has a great sense of humor. Right now she's possessed by hormones and possible mental illness that has been passed down generationally; it says something when 4 generations of women (maternal) in your family have bipolar disorder.

We have also flipped the script with living situation, which is why I haven't been blogging. In the past, C has spent the majority of time with her mother and would come to us 2-3 times a week, depending upon her schedule. For the last 2 months, C has spent most of her time at our house. She goes to her mother's house 2x during the school week, and weekends (aka downtime) is spent here. So far, we have only had one meltdown and one potential meltdown. The one true meltdown was about not wanting to nebulize (whatever) and she almost hit me. Fortunately for us both, she reconsidered. But I am waiting.

99% of the time, it's been good. Very good. We have a routine and it works. We have an unspoken contract that is becoming a written contract where she can earn reward daily. Grounding long-term has never worked with her, and she's too big to spank. We are taking it one day at a time, and are working incredibly hard to stabilize her.

So that's why I have fallen off the face of the earth. That's why I haven't been blogging about my crush on Anthony Bourdain, my loathe of Lynette from Desperate Housewives, and my irritation that Hung won Top Chef. My life is C., because in the face of this emotional chaos, she has turned to me for some reason. Our relationship has grown stronger and stronger, and we are together constantly - day in and day out. C has turned to me for help, and looks to me as that port in her storm. Right now, I have a responsibility to pick up and carry her for a while, and right now that's what I am doing.

I am being a mom, whether I am ready or not.

9 comments:

Shannon said...

I send you a big hug. Know that you and C and all of your family are in my prayers. Sounds like you're handling this pretty well. Hang in there. I hope it levels off soon.

HUGS

wzgirl said...

I'm glad that she's got you - and that you've got her. Nothing like a teen steeped in hormonal rage and emotional turbulance to distract you from the wait, if even a weensy bit.

kitchu said...

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job facing some real challenges with C. I hope that you are able to help her find her "balance"... sounds like you're on the right track.

It was so good to see an update. I'll be thinking of you guys. Don't be a stranger for too long.

Project Ni Hao said...

I'm sending some good thoughts your way, because I know all too well how difficult a position you're in. It's wonderful that C has responded to the stability and the professional help you guys have been able to provide for her. But, it is tough and it is exhausting--just having a teenager suddenly living with you is exhausting! Hang in there.

walternatives said...

Wow. I'm sorry that you all are having to go through this; I can't imagine. I'm proud of you, Momma. We don't need to include the Step part - doing what you need to do for the Family? You're a Mom. Good luck and keep us posted when you can.

Janet said...

You are amazing! Hang in there!

bbmomof2boys said...

Keep up the great work!!!! I'm so glad C has you to turn to!!

~Carla

Headmeister said...

Sounds to me like you're going above and beyond what is expected of you and doing a fabulous job at that. Good thing she has you! I had a horrible step-monster growing up who basically vied for my fathers attention at all times, and she won. My father and I don't even speak now because of her. Glad to see that wicked step-mothers only exist in my reality and in kids books ;)

Anonymous said...

Talk about trial by fire. Good luck and big hugs.