Friday, July 20, 2007

Milestone

C started her period today.

Now we have an answer to the Linda Blair mood swings, greasy nose outbreak, and all around lousy disposition. Well, maybe not an answer, perhaps an excuse.

I was out of town for work and right in the middle of an assessment with a family when my phone started vibrating. I ignored it. I knew C was with B at the house; she loves it when I am out of town overnight, she and her dad will lie around like slugs watching movies and eating Ramen noodles. Whenever I am out of town, B will call me throughout the day to update me on his daily itinerary - whether I want it or not. When it began vibrating again less than 5 minutes later, I began to worry. I excused myself, and answered with, "What's wrong?"

C very excitedly told me the lowdown and when I said, "You know you need to..." she cut me off and proceeded to tell me how she took care of business by getting herself taken care of, finding the pads, telling her dad, calling her mom, my mom and my sister-in-law to let them ALL know that she finally started. We have had many discussions about where the pads are in the bathroom and the process she needs to take, so she was totally prepared. I am so proud of her. It's been slow, but I think she's finally growing up a little. I like it.

Now if only we can convince C's mom that it is So. Not. Cool. to have Sasquatch legs when 6th grade starts next month, and allowing C to shave her legs is in everyone's best interest.

Wish us luck.

4 comments:

aimeeg said...

Wow, sounds like she handled it so well! My niece just got hers recently and has not wanted ANYONE to know about it. She also hates her new boobies, which I am jealous of because at 12, they are better than mine already, haha.

walternatives said...

What a milestone - congratulations to you, too, for the part you've played, both in prep. work and C's life. It's cool to hear that C called all the women that are important to her, sharing the news.

wzgirl said...

That's a big one. How cool that she wanted (& did) call everyone and their mother. I kept it a secret for at least a month - I was too freaked out. Thank God times have changed! Great job, DSue - you rock the house in your teen "itsallgood" normalizing of stuff. You go!

Robin said...

I remember those days. My dd left handled everything herself as we were away at my parents house as it was Mother's day. She searched and searched to "find a pad" at my mothers and apparently found just one left. (yeah, grandma didn't need them anymore). We drove all the way home (a 7 hour drive mind you), just the two of us and she never said a word. That night, I had a note under my door when I went to bed. It told me she had started but handled it all.